I'm a big fan of flat, accurate headphones. In my opinion, Beyerdynamic's DT 770 are some of the best in the world. They provide excellent sound isolation, and a faithful reproduction of every music genre.

I've had my 770s for something like seven years. They are durable and comfortable, but their reliance on a wired connection now makes them difficult to use in many cases. You might assume that the iPhone 7's lack of a headphone jack was behind this, but it was mostly prompted by trying to work on a laptop on the couch.

Finally, I decided it was time to pull the plug and upgrade my DT 770s to a wireless Bluetooth connection. I've been using them wireless for a couple weeks now, and it's an incredible upgrade to an already great set of cans. I thought I'd post a couple photos of my process and the parts I used, in order to help other people who want to do a similar conversion.

For the Bluetooth connection, I went with the Grifin iTrip Clip adapter. So far, I’ve been very happy with it. It provides good sound quality, convenient controls, and can easily clip onto the head strap padding. It also connects to two devices at once, so I can easily switch between my laptop and iPhone.

After searching around for a while, I decided to use this Philmore panel mount headphone jack to provide the external connection. It fits well in the small space available in the DT 770 ear cups. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with a pinout, so I used a left/right test video to sort out which was which. If you decide to use the same part, here’s a photo that shows the pinout, along with standard headphone wire colors:

Left to right, with ground wire at rear: right, ground, left.

The DT 770 wires are coated in an insulating material. I burned this off the ends of each wire using a lighter so I could solder them to the jack terminals.

Once the headphone was disassembled (disassembly video here), I drilled a 3/8” hole where the original cable came out, and the jack popped right into place.

Disassembled headphones with jack inserted.

After soldering the wires in place and putting everything back together, I had spent about 15 minutes in work and $30 in parts. A pretty good deal for an upgrade that lets me walk around the whole house using my favorite headphones!

The completed project with the iTrip attached.